VERSE OF THE DAY

Monday, June 17, 2013

Flags of Our Fathers | A Child's Stand


When I was young, I used to run into my Papa whenever I had a bad dream or so. I would run as fast as I could just to hold or even get a touch at my father’s hand to relieve my fear, and then he’ll comfort me, even let me sleep at their bedroom. Sometimes when I don’t want to wake him up, I would just hold on to his feet and close my eyes and all bad feelings die away. But now that I’m too big to climb in their bedstead and my dreams are now too phony to be afraid of, I’d rather slept from it haha.


On the contrary, admit it, not all of us grow up with our fathers in their lives. I mean someone who taught you to crawl when you were a child, and eventually to walk. Someone who would tell you that everything will be alright after a drastic childhood mistake. He who watches you as you grow into what you are right now and guides you as you face tomorrow and conquer your future. I say everyone ever thought of that ideal father, but God could allow for you to have a flawed father, not ideal as mentioned above, but it’s possible. Lucky me, I thank Him for giving me the kind of earthly father who is always there for me. Who has taught me much, more than anything this earth could teach me, and for shaping me into what I am today.

“Truly, truly, I say to you, the Son can do nothing of his own accord, but only what he sees the Father doing. For whatever the Father does, that the Son does likewise.”
– John 5:19

My Papa was the bravest man I know. He served the nation in the Air Force of the Philippines for 10 years I’m not sure haha.  But I’m pretty sure he has gone a lot of tough challenges in his life. Before, when he was fated to work in Cebu, we would suffer for about a year without seeing his face nor feeling his presence. It kills us to miss him badly. He had to sacrifice in order for us to live, and that’s the best act of valor a dad would ever do to his children. Just like what God did when he sent His son to pay for our sins. Hurting, but the whole lot appears to be as beautiful as they be. Right now, my Papa is still strong, and he looks intimidating though haha (at first impression, but he’s kind I’m serious). However, underneath all these superficial characteristics, he’s the big kid who is fond of having fun, who loves his wife and children, and would do anything good for them. But he is also the kind of father who would direct your paths to the right way when you seem lost.

“The father of a righteous man has great joy; he who has a wise son delights in him.”
- Proverbs 23:24

Not all fathers are perfect, but the secret is in the way we look at them as individuals who are examples, either for the good or for worst, and how we respond on those things they do. And I’m not saying Papa is perfect, because that would start a “Perfect Dad Hunt” haha. But I’d say he’s the kind of earthly father God has given me to fulfill my purposes on bringing Him glory with my life. See you next time everyone! Happy Father’s Day to all!