VERSE OF THE DAY

Saturday, December 15, 2012

The Tragedy I Woke Up This Morning: The Connecticut School Shooting

Luke 23:34
"Jesus said, “Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing.” And they divided up his clothes by casting lots."

This verse struck my mind the moment I read about the news clippings about a Shoot Out in a school in Newtown, Connecticut leaving 26 people killed, including 20 children. I browsed for it in the internet and was devastated, a 20-year old man opened fire in an area of Sandy Hook Elementary School causing such tragedy. It was therefore considered "worst' of all reported incidents in the country simply because most of its victims were just innocent children.

My morning went unwell when I heard the bad news. Though the incident happened miles away, I just can't ignore the thought of "What could have been the reason a young man committed such horrible crime?" I mean, going rampage, shooting around and killing children is not a normal thing a young man would do, right? I have younger brothers whom I told about the news and was also terrified of it.

Being a Christian, I believe all things happen in God's plan, and I certainly believe that He has a purpose for allowing such things and we cannot avoid it. We might not understand it right at the moment we learn about it but God will reveal the reason behind those things some time in the future and it will be on His perfect time.


Right now, I know families of the victims were brokenhearted. The Bible said, "He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds" (Psalm 147:3). Even for those who were concerned and I can't exclude myself in this matter. I have worries that it may happen here in the Philippines but I know that God will be our protector and comforter. I am inviting everyone to take this time to pray for those families who lost their loved one in the horrible shoot out.