VERSE OF THE DAY

Monday, December 31, 2012

New Year's Resolution: A Step of Faith for 2013



"You hit a goal, you achieve a goal. You keep a resolution" 
-Gretchen Rubin (The Happiness Project)


Tons of goals to list there buddy. Well at least I don't have to take my time to figure every little thing I want to change in my life. That's absurd, I don't list anyway. The need for change just comes, and sometimes we don't notice it, or we choose to ignore it halfway. That'll do buddy, that'll do. Well, almost. Not until I heard that message.

We Filipinos and almost all people in this world know that when New Year is about to peek in our doors, we always want to go scribbling on our notes listing everything we want to change in our lives in the preceding year. Doesn't that sound too difficult? I think New Year's Resolutions were more of like a commitment that a person has in mind. For example, personal goals, projects, or reforming of a bad habit would do. Anticipations in new beginning should give you a "bird's eye" of everything that is feasible, whatever it is.

We at the Sumulong Baptist Church Makati held our last service for 2012 yesterday, and the message was all about "Pressing On Towards 2013". I just can't keep away what I've conceived simply because all the words hit right through me, I was so moved. Pastor Jeff tackled 3 points in the discussion and I badly want to broadcast this to all. So here it goes... (Scripture Texts were lifted up in Joshua 1:1-11)

1. PREPARE by PLANNING
Keep up a plan, prepare and never lose track. When Moses died, Lord God chose Joshua, son of Nun, Moses' aide to lead the Israelites out of the wilderness. The Bible says, “Moses my servant is dead. Now then, you and all these people,
get ready to cross the Jordan River into the land I am about to give to them—to the Israelites. I will give you every place where you set your foot, as I promised Moses." (Joshua 1:2-3) The Bible directly tells us to get ready, not just to Joshua but to us. They are about to cross Jordan River, and we are about to cross our own barriers, our own problems, just like what we do in our resolutions. Planning is one step to achieve change, but always keep in mind that a plan will not be successful unless worked- out. Remember, the future belongs to those who prepare for it. You've got to have a plan. Pastor quoted from an anonymous person, "If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

2. PERSIST in God's PRINCIPLES
Never let God depart from you. Keep Him in words, in ways, and even in your mind. The Bible says, “Be strong and very courageous. Be careful to obey all the law my servant Moses gave you; do not turn from it to the right or to the left, that you may be successful wherever you go. Keep this Book of the Law always on your lips; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful." (Joshua 1:7-8) The verse commanded us three things, (1) Talk the Word of God- Keep this Book of the Law always on your lips, (2) Think about God's word- meditate on it day and night, and (3) Move in God's way- so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. The Bible is merely not just a simple compilation of books written by men of different generations, it is written in the presence of the Holy Spirit. Quoting 2 Timothy 3:16-17, "All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work." no one can go against with it.

3. PURSUE a forward PACE
Take heart and start walking in faith. In the scripture, three (3) times in this passage there's a phrase, "be strong and (very - v.7) courageous", let's look at it.

Be strong and courageous, because you will lead these people to inherit the land I swore to their ancestors to give them. -Joshua 1:6

“Be strong and very courageous. Be careful to obey all the law my servant Moses gave you; do not turn from it to the right or to the left, that you may be successful wherever you go. -Joshua 1:7

• Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.” -Joshua 1:9

See how God strictly commands us to be strong and courageous at all circumstances? No matter how many barriers we encounter, we simply  receive the blessings of God's grace at each battle. Pastor Jeff implies, "...even the sin of omission, how we ignore God's calling for us to do his work, is a barrier for us..." As I was saying, take heart and start walking in faith.



That strong message and the closing song really made me feel blessed that I almost burst out in tears. I'm caught up I know, I don't care anyway who looks at me at that moment. It made me and I think my church-mates as well, commit on God again, and I'll never get tired committing everything on to Him. Lastly, it made me realize now to make my resolution haha.


Be blessed and start walking in faith. God Bless everyone and have a great New Year!